Friday, March 29, 2013

Random Thoughts

So, I've been cruising Facebook a lot recently and have been meeting most amazing people.  Some are authors, like me, others are just avid readers.  It got me to thinking about how in the past my FB days were spent on hours of marketing and promotion for home-based businesses.  I see that in many ways, nothing has changed, but for me, everything has changed.

For the first time in a long time, I am on a focused path for myself.  But, as an author I am not only compelled to write the stories that play in my head day-to-day, but I find I want to share as much as I can.  Being surrounded by others who adore romance, crave bad-boys and just simply love to escape real-life for a little bit of fantasy..well, it's been amazing.  And it is addictive.

I am new to the flow of up & coming authors, but I jumped in feet first. Even though there are thousands of other Romance authors, we all have different stories.  Different heroines and heroes.  Different life experiences that influence our stories.  Occasionally I read a success story and I feel a bit daunted.  I mean, to sell 500k of books in 3 months is mind-blowing.  And, for a split second, I frown.  Then, it hits me...that could be too.

Two amazing friends have been helping me with edits on my most recent book.  Each has completely different feedback, and that is AWESOME.  It can seem like a "bad" thing, but in all reality, for me, it shows me two different perspectives that I can implement within that story, as well as the one I am currently working on.  Gentle reminders to give more of my characters than I have been.  To dig deeper in to their emotions.  I have a tendency to see it all in my head, but am unsure if it comes out in the words I use.  These ladies have helped me to see where I can improve.

I want you to know that if you are an author, or whatever it is you do, find some people that you can surround yourself with that will support you.  They will say "Great Job!" AND they will also say "Improve this, leave that out, do more here."  What good are supportive people who only pat your back, but never encourage you to better yourself (or your work)?

Those two lovely ladies, Sam and Eve, share their work with me as well.  And, because they've learned my strength is in finding the small details, they ask me to seek them out.  I give them my feedback on the overall story and point out small things that could be improved.  It's an honor to work with them both and we have a lovely "give and take" relationship.  We also share our real lives with one another, making our friendship more than just about writing our stories.

Anyway, keep writing...or whatever you love to do AND make sure you have people around you to support you in a way that benefits you.  Always be sure to give more than you take and tell them how much they mean to you!

And to my fans...thank YOU for coming on by and reading my posts, commenting and sharing them.

I <3 YOU!

~Jayn~

1 comment:

  1. Awww thanks for the kind words. You know you've been a huge support to me both personally and professionally. Just happy I can be along for the ride and finally repay some favours!

    ReplyDelete